I’m currently writing this post a few days before, but as you read it, I will be waking up in Disneyland Paris! I’m so excited! It feels like it was only last week we booked our tickets, even though it goes right back to January. As per usual, the fact I’m travelling on a plane for the first time without my husband is making me incredibly anxious. You probably think that’s a bit soppy, but considering I’ve only ever flown with my husband, it’s almost like he’s been a security blanket for me. Thankfully, Paris is a pretty short flight, and I’m going with my best friend, Lillie, who has always been able to make me laugh at the worst of times. Fingers crossed it’s a nice easy flight! I’m also trying to think of the end goal, in that WE’RE GOING TO GODDAMN DISNEYLAND!
Anyway, back to the original point of today’s post. I’m of course going to blog about my trip, but I thought for a little pre-trip content, I’ll kick things off today. This is the first time I’ve flown with hand luggage only, and while that’s probably no big deal for most people, for me, I’m a bit nervous. Why? Well, OCD – soap and all that. Hand luggage restrictions don’t particularly give a shit if you have OCD. Usually, with a checked bag, I would have all of my toiletries in there, and the only liquids in my hand luggage would be a bottle of hand sanitiser.
I get that it’s probably no big deal to anyone else, but I like my home comforts. Restricting it down to a maximum of 10 items will be tough. Not to mention the fact that I like to keep my hand sanitiser in a separate pocket so that the germs from whatever I’ve touched don’t transfer onto my things. Ugh. Even typing that I know how ridiculous I sound. I’m embarrassed that I’m making it into such a big thing to be honest, but I can’t help it.
Anyway, I’m trying my best to not let this stress me out too much (famous last words), so I’m going to be productive with my packing techniques and I thought for today’s post, I’d share with you what I class as my top travel essentials (in addition to the obvious clothes and stuff). In the meantime, if anyone has any tips on keeping liquids and such within the rules, I’ll be grateful for them!
All items featured have been purchased with my own money, and this post contains no affiliate links.
While for convenience, I know a small trolley suitcase would be easier. You don’t have to carry it on your shoulders, and generally there’s more room than what you get in a shoulder bag. Plus your stuff is a bit more protected. However, what puts me off is having my money and my travel documents trailing behind me – I prefer to have it physically close to my body. As I’ve never travelled on just hand luggage before, I didn’t really have a bag big enough, so I decided to invest in one. This particular bag – the WANDF Foldable Travel Duffel Bag – had some great reviews on Amazon, it comes in loads of different colours, and meets the baggage restrictions on most budget airlines. It’s nice and light, and it folds up for easy storage too.
- Hand sanitiser: I’m using Dettol Antibacterial Hand Gel as it dries nice and quick, and it doesn’t smell too overpowering.
- Foundation: I currently use Rimmel Match Perfection in Fair Porcelain. While the whole bottle was under 100ml, it wouldn’t quite fit in the bag, so I had to decant it into a little jar. Just a side note, the clear bag came from Primark – it was £4 and had a couple of bottles and a small jar in it, all under 100ml.
- Concealer: I’m using Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer in True Ivory – I know concealer may not be a priority to most but I need the bags under my eyes covered if I’m going to feel good about my appearance.
- Mascara: I’ve been using Collection 2000 Volumising Mascara for a while now and for £2.99, it does the job just fine! My eyes water a lot so I go for the waterproof option and it seems to hold pretty well.
- Moisturiser: Recently I’ve been using Nivea Daily Essentials face cream for dry and sensitive skin. It’s nice and gentle and it smells amazing!
- Deodorant: I normally use a spray but so I don’t need to pack an aerosol I opted for a roll on. I usually use the Dove deodorants because they’re gentle on skin and they smell really nice and fresh. I especially love the cucumber scent of this one!
- Toothpaste and mouthwash: Self explanatory. I picked up a whitening toothpaste and mouthwash travel size in Primark. I’ve yet to try them but for the price I’m happy to go with them for a couple a days regardless!
- Contact lenses: I generally prefer wearing my contacts these days, especially if I’m going to be wearing sunglasses (more choice and it’s easier than swapping specs all day!). If we’re going on rides too, I’ll feel a lot safer wearing my lenses than my glasses!
- Antibacterial wipes: My OCD dictates that after a plane journey I wipe down my tech and any other items I feel necessary. I find a pack of Carex Antibacterial wipes does the job nicely. Update as I’m uploading this post: I’m a bloody idiot and forgot to buy them, so I’m going to pick some up at the airport instead!
I love my Cath Kidston gadget pouch. I picked it up in the sale a few years ago for £7 and it’s accompanied me on my last couple of holidays. I’m all for keeping my phone and other tech separate so that I can easily find it. I’ll usually keep my phone and my headphones in here, and I’ll keep within easy reach in my bad in case I need it during my travels.
A no brainer, really. Sertraline, Noriday, and Mebeverine. My trio of tabs will without a doubt be going with me. I’ll probably throw in a couple of Imodiums too.
Even though it’s a short flight, I like to keep myself occupied. I’m currently reading I Stop Somewhere by T.E Carter, and I’ll also throw in a magazine or two as well. I have a huge stack under my coffee table that I haven’t read, so travelling is always a good excuse to read them. It’s good to make sure I have plenty of reading material if I get anxious too.
Again – priority! We were adamant that we wanted to get some ears to go full on Disney from the very start. However, our wonderfully lovely friend Cheryl went a few weeks ago and she brought us back a pair each so that we’re fully prepared! Because of course we need an airport selfie in them.
So that’s it – depending on how organised I am, my next post will hopefully be an account of my trip!